With remote work dominating the better part of our past 18 months, comfy WFH habits (from sweatpants to constant snacking) have made going back into the office more than just a location change. For many of us, returning to the office poses an unexpected challenge: getting dressed in the morning. It’s safe to say we’ve all been through a lot of changes during the pandemic – maybe your go-to work pants don’t fit quite the same way or you’re not quite sure what your style is these days.
As one of our members lamented recently, “I don’t even know what I like anymore. My office environment is casual but I don’t want to look like I just got off the couch. Pants and shorts? HELP!” Going back into “the real world” can feel a bit like we’re preparing to walk down the runway.
Getting to know your personal style can be a great way to feel like you’re putting your best foot forward and going out with confidence. More than just a form of self-expression, your personal style is an essential tool to feel confident and elevate your day. Since we’ve all been through a lot since the start of the pandemic, your personal style might need some readjusting, or even rediscovering. Here are some tips and tricks to re-define your personal style in the post-pandemic world.
Tips and Tricks to Re-Define Your Personal Style in the Post-Pandemic World
- Search for Inspiration. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! Find a few boss ladies whose looks stand out to you, whether it’s their clothing, their confidence, or their overall swagger. Our attitudes and outlooks change from day-to-day, so find a few people or looks that you admire and want to emulate. It’s a bit unlikely you’ll find a single style guru whose style encompasses yours to a T, but looking to the PWR Feed, Armoire’s virtual dressing room, is a great place to start searching for inspiration. Ready to take your style to the next level? Try booking a 1:1 styling appointment with an Armoire stylist.
- Look to Your Closet. What are you excited to wear again? What do you feel good wearing? Pull out the items that you love and try to notice any similarities or common trends. Note that what you are excited to wear and what you feel good in might be different garments for different reasons. Sometimes we feel good in clothes when they are familiar, or are excited to wear things that might intimidate us. Pair newer items with more tenured pieces to rediscover your own closet, and give a new life to old pieces when worn in a different way. Use what you already own and love as the foundation of your personal style journey and supplement with rented pieces so you always have something new and exciting to wear.
- Clear the Clutter. What serves your style and what doesn’t? Donate the things you haven’t worn in a while or don’t “feel like you” so that your closet feels like you through and through. Cluttered wardrobes can be overwhelming and make picking an outfit feel like a stressful chore, especially when you feel like you’re pulling out dud after dud. Styling your outfits everyday should be a fun experiment in self-expression. Starting with a closet made up of items that add value to your wardrobe can make this feel less stressful and more satisfying. Check out our Ultimate Closet Cleanout Guide for a few tips on where to begin.
- Embrace Experimentation. The phrase ‘you never know until you try’ has never been more true. Experimenting with new colors, styles, or silhouettes is a great way to get a taste for what you like, or take a new style for a ‘test drive’. Take a chance on a print you might not normally wear, or a silhouette you’ve never tried. Borrow from a friend, steal from your daughter, or… rent! Without the commitment of buying, there are no strings (or hefty price tags) attached to trying something new. Renting is an easy way to take small risks and redefine your boundaries everyday.
- Celebrate Yourself. Be your own style guru! Snap a photo when you’re feeling yourself, and come back to these next time you’re looking for inspiration. Remember what made you feel good, whether it was one garment, a hairstyle, or just the entire day, and emulate what brought you confidence as your move forward.
- Iterate, Iterate, Iterate. Don’t be afraid to take it one step at a time. Defining your personal style is an iterative process, and rarely ever a finished product. Your personal style will evolve with you, and thanks to Armoire, your closet can too.
Redefining your personal style can be a really fun opportunity to play around, try something new, or even get a bit introspective. As you build your personal brand through style, be sure to share what you love with the boss ladies around you by posting to the Armoire PWR feed or leaving a review!
Written by Anya Edelstein for Armoire.